The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Monday formally inducted four US-made Chinook heavy-lift helicopters at Air Force Station 12 Wing in Chandigarh. Air Chief Marshal B.S. Dhanoa presided over the induction ceremony. Each Chinook helicopter has a payload capacity of about 10 tonne which is a major boost to India’s strategic airlift capability. The Chinook will be used to move troops, artillery, ammunition, supplies, and equipment on the battlefield. Besides, they can be used for medical evacuation.
Here’s all you need to know about made Chinook heavy-lift helicopters:
1. Each Chinook helicopter has a payload capacity of about 10 tonne which is a major boost to India’s strategic airlift capability.
2. Chinook is a heavy lift, tandem rotor helicopter which serves armed forces of 19 countries. It is a multi-role platform and is used for the transport of troops and material among other roles. It will greatly enhance IAF’s HADR capability.
3. Chinook is an advanced multi-mission helicopter that will provide Indian Air Force with unmatched strategic airlift capability across the full spectrum of combat & humanitarian missions.
#Chinook : Induction – 25 Mar 19 –
IAF received its first CH-47F (I) Chinook heavy-lift helicopter on 10 Feb 19 at the Mundra port in Gujarat. On 25 Mar 19, it will be formally inducted into the Helicopter fleet of IAF at Chandigarh.
Photo Courtesy – Boeing India pic.twitter.com/hCfRzGmlmY
— Indian Air Force (@IAF_MCC) March 25, 2019
4. Chinook is also capable of lifting M-777 ultra-light howitzers of the Indian armed forces.
5. The IAF on Monday inducted first four of the 15 CH-47F Chinooks ordered from Boeing in the Rs 8,048 crore deal inked in September 2015. The entire fleet of 15 Chinooks are expected to arrive in India by March 2020.
#Chinook: First Flight – In July 2018, CH-47F (I) Chinook helicopter for Indian Air Force completed its first flight. Indian Air Force’s helicopter fleet is undergoing modernization & the first Chinook will be inducted on 25 Mar 2019.
— Indian Air Force (@IAF_MCC) March 23, 2019