Echoing US President Donald Trump, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claimed on Sunday that there is substantial evidence to suggest that the coronavirus originated in China’s Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV).
Referring to Wuhan laboratory, Pompeo told US broadcaster ABC: “There is enormous evidence that this is where it began.”
Pompeo, however, refused to say anything on whether China released the coronavirus intentionally or not.
Read Also | COVID-19: Why UNSC must hold China accountable for loss of innocent lives across world
Coming down heavily on China for its mishandling of the coronavirus outbreak, Pompeo said that Beijing has a track record of infecting and running substandard laboratories.
“I think the whole world can see [it] now; Remember, China has a history of infecting the world and running substandard laboratories,” he said.
Pompeo’s statement assumes significance as it comes after President Trump’s assertion earlier this week wherein he had claimed to have seen evidence linking China’s Wuhan lab to the COVID-19 pandemic.