Bollywood superstar Akshay Kumar on Monday announced a new film, titled Prithviraj, on his 52nd birthday. The period drama will be based on the life of Samrat Prithviraj Chauhan of Chahamana dynasty and Akshay will play the grand ruler. The historical film will be directed by Dr Chandraprakash Dwivedi and it will be made under Aditya Chopra-headed Yash Raj Films. The film is slated for release on Diwali next year. Akshay Kumar shared a teaser of the film that begins with a war announcement as a sword pierces through raging flames. The name of the female lead of the film, based on the character of Sanyogita, is yet to be announced.
Here’s all that we know about Akshay Kumar’s announcement:
1. Akshay Kumar announced the new movie on his 52nd birthday and shared the teaser of the period drama that shows a sword piercing through raging flames.
2. “Elated to share about my first historical film on my birthday! Humbled to have the opportunity to play a hero I look up to for his valour and values – Samrat Prithviraj Chauhan in one of my biggest films Prithviraj,” Akshay Kumar tweeted.
3. “It is truly an honour that I will be playing the role of one of the most fearless and courageous kings of India, Prithviraj Chauhan. As a nation, we should always celebrate our heroes and immortalize what they did to propagate the values that Indians lived by. Prithviraj is our attempt to bring to light his valour and daredevilry. Prithviraj was the only person standing in front of a merciless nemesis and the bravery he showed, made him a true Indian hero, an inspiration for generations and a legend. So this announcement coming on my birthday has indeed made it more special for me,” Akshay Kumar has said.
Elated to share about my 1st historical film on my birthday!Humbled to have the opportunity to play a hero I look up to for his valor & values- Samrat Prithviraj Chauhan in one of my biggest films #Prithviraj.
Producer @yrf,director #DrChandraprakashDwivedi, releasing Diwali 2020 pic.twitter.com/Q2nD5KE3KR
— Akshay Kumar (@akshaykumar) September 9, 2019
4. Prithviraj Chauhan was a king from the Chahamana (Chauhan) dynasty and he ruled Sapadalaksha, the traditional Chahamana territory, in present-day north-western India, ranging from Rajasthan, Haryana, and Delhi to some parts of Punjab, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. He had defeated Muhammad of Ghor, a ruler of the Muslim Ghurid dynasty when he tried to invade India in 1191 CE. Prithviraj showed large-heartedness and freed Muhammad Ghori instead of killing him. However, the Ghurids defeated Prithviraj at the Second Battle of Tarain in 1192 CE.
5. Akshay Kumar had earlier acted in another war drama Kesari, which was based on the historical battle of Saragarhi, where 21 Sikh soldiers died fighting against 10,000 Afghan troops.
6. Akshay Kumar is looking forward to the release of Housefull 4 and Good News later this year.