In a sensational disclosure, Delhi Police on Monday informed Patiala House Court that the anti-CAA protests at the Jamia Millia Islami varsity and other parts of Delhi were funded from the Middle East. The Delhi Police made this revelation while seeking 12-day police remand of Jamia Millia Islamia Alumni Association President Shifa Ul Rahman who was arrested on Sunday by the Delhi Police Special Cell.
He was arrested under Sections 120B read with 124A, 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder) along with other sections of the Indian Penal Code and 3 & 4 of Prevention of Damage of Public Property Act 1984, 25/27 of Arms Act, and 13, 16, 17 and 18 of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
After hearing Delhi Police’s arguments, the court granted 10-day police custody of Rahman.
Here’s what Delhi Police told Patiala House Court:
1. “It is revealed that accused Shifa Ur Rehman received funds from members of alumni association of Jamia Millia Islamia based in Middle East countries and he was co-coordinating at the protest sites,” Delhi Police claimed.
2. Seeking Rahman’s custody, the Delhi Police further told the court that Rahman’s name had popped up during the questioning of Ishrat Jahan, Khalid Saifi, Meeran Haider, Safora Zargar, Gulfisa, Tahir Hussain, and three members of the Popular Front of India (PFI).
3. “Shifa-Ur-Rehman is also found actively involved in a conspiracy hatched in setting up anti CAA/NPR/NRC protests at various sites in Delhi, giving hate speeches that led to the riots in February 2020 at various protest sites, i.e., Jamia Nagar, Shaheen Bagh, Seelampur, Khureji, Inderlok and Hauz Rani,” the Delhi Police said.
4. According to Delhi Police, Shifa Ul Rahman admitted that he was president of AAJMI (Alumni Association of Jamia Millia Islamia) and member of JCC (Jamia Co-ordination Committee).
5. Delhi Police also claimed Shifa Ul Rahman admitted that he was actively involved in recent anti- CAA/NPR/NRC protests organized by the JCC with the support of several other student groups/organizations which finally resulted in the riots.